Thinking about your career or pivoting to a new career? A career at Union might be for you.
School Year Half Day Teacher
Position: Teacher of Union UMC Day School
Reports to: Director and Assistant Director of Union UMC Day School
Type of Position: Half Day / School Year
Minimum General Requirements:
- College Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Good general physical health and the endurance to work hours required to fulfill the job requirements.
- Ability to see, hear, speak and move quickly.
The teacher is responsible for creating and maintaining a secure, safe, healthy, affectionate and nurturing learning environment and having quality relationships with adults and students at Union UMC Day School.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and prepare lessons before the students arrive to include activities that are creative an fun learning experiences, as well as spiritual teaching and guidance. Lesson and activities should be developmentally appropriate for the age of the child and should focus on the process and not the product. State guidelines will be followed.
- Communicate all lesson plans and activities with the associate teacher.
- Create a learning environment that allows children to be exposed to a wide range of learning experiences. Three new activities will be added or changed each year.
- Be role models for behavior in the classroom and throughout the school.
- Demonstrate compliance with DSS and Union standards in daily classroom procedures.
- Plan and implement several outdoor activities a year.
- Have personal contact with every parent during the first six weeks of school, with daily communication and, end of the year conference and/or as needed throughout the year.
- Keep attendance records and contact with parents of children who are absent after three days.
- Track students from transition to transition during the school day.
- Discuss with the director and/assistant director any problems with a child’s behavior, or problems with parents.
- Encourage parent involvement and participation through out the year.
- Focus on child interaction and conversations appropriate to age level.
- Send private Instagram updates to parents.
- Required to respond to a parent or responsible party with in a 24 hour period.
- Keep all areas safe. (Daily visual inspection of all areas utilized, including outlet covers, cleaning supplies, electrical cords, playground equipment, restrooms, etc)
- Keep a neat, clean and attractive room. Decoration should be developmentally appropriate to the maturity and interests for the students. Displays outside the classroom should be changed monthly. (Wall space will be shared with Sunday school and Day school)
- Be responsible for the supervision of the children at all times by sight and sound.
- Report suspected abuse and neglect of the children to the director.
- Promote good health habits and manners at an appropriate level.
- Post health and safety information in their rooms.
- Required to attend scheduled staff meetings.
- Continue to grow professionally by taking professional workshops/conferences/online classes throughout the year and adhering to DSS standards.
- Show professionalism in leadership and supervisory skills and will act as a team player. This includes keeping an open line of communication with co-workers and keeping them well informed in all aspects of daily activities. Teachers will communicate effectively and share classroom responsibilities with the assigned associate teacher.
- Keep current with information and new trends in early childhood development.
- Be familiar with and follow all Day school policies set forth by the church.
- Follow absence reporting policies.
- Use verbal discretion at all time regarding confidential information involving students and staff members.
- All Day School staff
- Parents of Children
- Volunteers for Day School Activities
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties as assigned by the Director.