Thinking about your career or pivoting to a new career? A career at Union might be for you.
School Year Half Day Associate Teacher
Position: Associate Teacher of Union UMC Day School
Reports to: Director and Assistant Director of Union UMC Day School
Type of Position: Half Day / School Year
Minimum General Requirements:
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Good general physical health and the endurance to work hours required to fulfill the job requirements.
- Ability to see, hear, speak and move quickly.
The associate teacher is responsible for creating and maintaining a secure, safe, healthy, affectionate and nurturing learning environment and having quality relationships with adults and students at Union UMC Day School.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the lead teacher in providing interaction with the children in activities that are creative and fun learning experiences, as well as spiritual teaching and guidance. They will focus on the process and not the product when working with students.
- Assist the lead teachers in preparing the daily activities before the children arrive. This includes set-up and preparation of materials.
- Be knowledgeable of all lesson plans and activities and be able to communicate them to classroom volunteers.
- Act as a facilitator to encourage class participation in planned activities at an age appropriate level.
- Be role models for behavior in the classroom and throughout the school.
- Be assigned duties by the director to assist in daily operations of the school. (ie. Carpool, kitchen, etc.)
- Demonstrate compliance with DSS and Union standards in daily classroom procedures.
- Assume the responsibilities of the lead teacher in case of the absence of the lead teacher.
- Be available to assist the lead teacher in contacting the parents of children who are absent after three days.
- Discuss with the lead teacher and/or the director any problems with a child’s behavior, or problems with parents.
- Focus on child interaction and conversations appropriate to age level.
- Keep all areas safe. (Daily visual inspection of all areas utilized, including outlet covers, cleaning supplies, electrical cords, playground equipment, restrooms, etc.)
- Keep a neat, clean and attractive room. Decoration should be developmentally appropriate to the maturity and interests for the students. Displays outside the classroom should be changed monthly. (Wall space will be shared with Sunday school and Day school)
- Assist Teacher with keeping Instagram account current.
- Be responsible for the supervision of the children at all times by sight and sound.
- Report suspected abuse and neglect of the children to the director.
- Promote good health habits and manners at an appropriate level.
- Post health and safety information in their rooms.
- Attend staff meetings which we will be held as needed through out the year.
- Continue to grow professionally by taking professional workshops/conferences/online classes throughout the year and adhering to DSS standards.
- Show professionalism in leadership and supervisory skills and will act as a team player. This includes keeping an open line of communication with co-workers.
- Keep current with information and new trends in early childhood development.
- Be familiar with and follow all Day school policies set forth by the church.
- Follow absence reporting policies.
- Be willing to come in early or stay late as necessary
- All Day School staff
- Parents of Children
- Volunteers for Day School Activities
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties as assigned by the Director.