Thinking about your career or pivoting to a new career? A career at Union might be for you.
Afternoon Floater Teacher Position
Position: Floater Teacher of Union UMC Day School
Reports to: Director and Assistant Director of Union UMC Day School
Type of Position: Half Day/ All Year
We are looking for a committed teacher to complement our qualified workforce of educators. You will be responsible for floating and assisting primarily in our infants, toddlers, and twos classes. You may be asked to help in 3K and 4K as well. It is fundamental to have knowledge of child development for infants and toddlers. The ideal candidate will be passionate for the job with an ability to form secure attachments and create relationships of mutual trust with the children in your care. They will know how to organize a class and make learning an easy and meaningful process. The ideal candidate will also possess the experience to mentor current teachers and assist with lesson plans for toddlers and twos.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a safe, nurturing, educational environment for all children
- Engage constructively with individual children during activities and transitions to help them reach their developmental milestones
- Demonstrate effective listening, oral and written communication skills
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop classroom activities and standards such as teaching children to share, express themselves, follow their curiosity, and develop vocabulary
- Provide infants activities to help them build their large muscles
- Sing and read to children with expression
- Manage classroom behaviors through positive reinforcement and appropriate redirection
- Attend all required trainings and obtain required continuing education hours
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by displaying professional behavior to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all students, staff, and parents
- Follow all Day School policies and procedures at all times
- Maintain an organized and clean classroom
- Ensure the safety of the children at all times
- Communicate with teachers to complete tasks they delegate to you as needed
- Experience using Brightwheel app a plus
- Provide individualized instruction to each student by promoting interactive learning
- Observe and understand students’ behavior and psyche and report suspicions of neglect, abuse etc.
- Develop and enrich professional skills and knowledge by attending seminars, conferences etc.
- Experience as a teacher (infant or toddler preferred)
- Knowledge of teaching best practice and a willingness to follow the school's policies and procedures
- Excellent communicability and interpersonal skills
- Well-organized and committed
- Creative and energetic
- Strong moral values and discipline
- Knowledge of CPR/FA
Education and Expertise:
- AA Degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field, CDA or Infant/Toddler credentials from a state-approved SC Technical college preferred.
- 6 months experience in a DSS licensed facility required
5-hour shift - 1:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Monday to Friday
Part-time employees get the following weeks off paid:
- 1 week off at Christmas
- 1 week for Spring Break (aligns with School District 5)
- 1 week off for the 4th of July
- Other federal holidays
- 5 days of PTO (paid time off)
Full time employees get the same paid time off as above plus,
- 4% employer contribution to a retirement account
- $5300 annually placed in a health savings plan
- All Day School staff
- Parents of Children
- Volunteers for Day School Activities
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties as assigned by the Director.