Thinking about your career or pivoting to a new career?
A career at Union might be for you.
Job Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Church Administrator
Type of position: Full-time
Hours: 33 / week; Exempt
- Experience with bookkeeping for a business or non-profit
- Experience with payroll
- Finance or Accounting degree, experience preferred
- Must have a working knowledge of budgets
- Valid S. C. driver’s license
- A thorough knowledge of computerized double-entry bookkeeping and the supporting functions
- Knowledge of ACS Realm program preferred or some other accounting package (i.e. accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, cash receipts and disbursements).
- Ability to operate computer, calculator, copiers, printers
Responsible for the total administration of the church's funds, accounting records, and financial reports. The Finance Committee formulates and oversees the policies which the Financial Director administers and advises on procedures as deemed necessary. The person in this position must exercise confidentiality in all areas. Judgment must be used in day-to-day decisions and in deciding when authority must come from the Senior Minister, the Church Treasurer and/or the Finance Committee.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributions – entering contributions, misc. office deposits (rent checks, etc), balancing to deposits, generating reports and statements.
- Payroll - gathering information, entering, processing, generating reports, distributing checks, for church staff semi-monthly payroll; oversee filing quarterly and annual tax returns and deposits.
- Review, approve, and submit Day School payroll for biweekly and monthly pay schedules.
- Verify adequate documentation, enter, and process accounts payable in a timely manner. Generating reports, and distributing checks.
- General Ledger and supporting general journal-entering information from checkbooks and cash journal- posting, balancing and generating reports.
- Make weekly deposits for the church.
- Supervise counters and volunteers and substituting for same, if needed.
- Reconcile and maintain checkbooks and bank accounts.
- Administers church and day school staff pension and medical reimbursement plans.
PERIODIC FINANCIAL TASKS:
- Attend Church Council and Finance Committee meetings.
- Compile reports, and analyses for Finance Committee.
- Enter pledges after annual financial campaign.
- Coordinate and enter requests of Annual Budget.
- Prepare and distribute contribution envelopes to donors.
- Assist with entries and closing of books and journals at year-end and preparing same for new year.
- Prepare Annual Reports to South Carolina Conference.
- Prepare for and attending annual internal audit.
- Prepare and distribute quarterly and year-end giving statements to donors.
- Manage sale and issuance of columbarium niches.
- Filing, organizing, planning.
- Maintain staff personnel files (i.e. PTO days and pertinent human resource records and annual employee evaluation forms).
- Assist with preparing letters, retrieving database information, and other duties as needed for annual Stewardship campaign.
- Maintain good public relations to include congregation, staff and vendors.
- All other duties as assigned by the Senior Minister/ Church Administrator.
- Finance Committee
- Church Council
- Church Treasurer
- Other staff members
- Representatives of budgeted areas of the church
- Day school
- Endowment Committee
- Insurance representatives
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.